Application in the case of estate

Once you have acquired a property or plot of land through an estate, you must apply for legal registration or registration of a plot of land holding. You do this to register that you are the owner. This must be done within three months of the acquisition.

Apply by email or by mail

Choose whether you want to use our e-service or send in the application by post.

Read about how to apply via our e-service or by post.

If you are a partner in an estate that is to sell or give away a property

If an estate is to sell or give away a property, the estate must first apply for and be granted title deed.

The application must contain:

  • Application for legal registration for the estate.
  • A certified copy of the estate register. Remember that the estate register must first be registered with the Swedish Tax Agency and the property must be included in the estate register.

The estate is the transferor

When the estate then sells or gives away the property, it is important that the estate is stated as the transferor (for example Märta Karlsson's estate).

Thereafter, all the estate owners must sign the purchase or the gift deed on behalf of the estate. However, the estate owners' spouses do not have to approve the transfer.

Keep in mind that when an estate is the transferor, a copy of the will needs to be sent with the application for title for the buyers / gift recipients, if there is one included in the estate register.

If any of the estate owners sign according to the power of attorney, the power of attorney must be sent in the original.

Read the Survivor's guide

The website is a collaboration between the Swedish Social Insurance Agency, the Swedish Pensions Agency and the Swedish Tax Agency. The idea is to make it easier for you who have lost someone close.

Here you will find information about, among other things, who will inherit, succession and estate registration.

Take part of the information in the Survivor's guide (new window).

Questions and answers

Lantmäteriet provides general information when you start a case or seek information about our operations. For example, it could be about how you apply for deed, land right, contractual easement or which e-services and forms should be used.

It can also be about which documents you need to send with your application. You can also order extracts from our registers.

It is not part of Lantmäteriet's mission to give advice on, for example, how a property division or inheritance should be carried out, on tax planning or to give advice on how regulations or older decisions can be interpreted. We also cannot give advance notice in cases.

If you need help with your questions, get suggestions on the appropriate course of action or help with interpreting or creating legal documents, we refer you to the private market via external advisers or agents.

You who have protected personal data can make your application via our e-service or by sending your application by post.

In the e-service, you need to enter your name manually as confidential information is not displayed to the user of the e-service.

Read about what applies if you have protected personal data on the Swedish Tax Agency's website (new window).

A certified copy means that a photocopy has been taken of the original. On the photocopy you write that the copy corresponds to the original, and add your signature.

Contents of this page may be automatically translated, we take no responsibility for the accuracy of the translation. Feel free to contact our customer support centre if you have any questions.

Read more about our website