The Renewal Act

Here you can read about the Renewal Act and what it covers.

What does the Renewal Act mean?

The Renewal Act means that the registration of contractual easements or usufruct rights that have been granted before 1 July 1968 was removed from the property register at the beginning of 2019.

The properties concerned were the who had a contractual easement, a right of use or a right of descent attached to them. The properties that were not affected are those with official easements, registration of land rights or of hydropower and water regulation.

What has happened to the contractual rights?

Read more under questions and answers on this page, about what has happened to contractual rights that have been cleared away after 31 December 2018.

If you have a contractual right (easement) that has been cleared away after 31 December 2018 and come to the conclusion afterwards that you want the contractual right to continue must be registered, you will need to make a new application for registration in the property register.

Read more about and apply for registration.

Affected registrations

Contract easement - written between the property owners where one property is given the right to use something specific on the other property, such as a well.

Right of use - is a right for a person to use someone else's property in a certain way. the person concerned and the owner of the property where the right of use is to apply. Example: The person with the right of use has the right to use the horse paddock on the property.

fifty years and are therefore expired if they do not contain rules on extension.

Descent right - is a preferential right to a property. the farm and the parents were guaranteed to stay and received some support from the farm during their lifetime.

Questions and answers

Even if the enrollment has been cleared, the underlying agreement may still apply. If you want the registration to remain in the property register, you need to apply for a new registration of the agreement with the property registration.

If the owner of the serviced property (the encumbered property) is the same as before the cleaning (January 2019), you can submit an application for registration of the contractual right. Together with the application, you must submit the old easement agreement / right of use agreement either in original or in a copy where the registration authority's old file number appears. If you do not have such a copy, you can order it from the National Archives. If the contractual right has been entered in the property register, Lantmäteriet can help you search for the information you need to order a copy from the National Archives.

About the serving property (the encumbered property) has changed owners after the clearing, a new agreement may need to be drawn up between the parties and an original of this must be sent to us together with the application for registration. You can read more about signing up here.

Yes, the parties affected by the contractual right had the opportunity to apply for renewal.

It is not certain that the easement has been entered in the property register from the beginning. (If the agreement was written after 1 July 1968, it has not been affected by the Renewal Act)

If there is no existing entry in the property register you can apply for enrollment.

Yes, according to the Renewal Act, Lantmäteriet had the right to remove the old registrations that have not been renewed at the end of 2018.

If the contractual right has been entered in the property register, Lantmäteriet can help you search for the information you need to order a copy from the National Archives.

The note on renewal was cleared from all properties during the end of August and the beginning of October 2019. After the clearing of easements, these no longer had any function and could therefore be removed.

Contact Us

If you have questions about this that our FAQs and this information do not answer, contact our Customer Center.

Contents of this page may be automatically translated, we take no responsibility for the accuracy of the translation. Feel free to contact our customer support centre if you have any questions.

Read more about our website