Individual roads

Individual roads are those roads that are not taken care of by the state or municipalities. The roads are instead managed, for example, by a community association or individual landowners. We help you with how you can get the right to use and distribute costs for an individual road.

Form a community facility

An individual road can be owned and maintained by several properties together. To be able to do that, you can, for example, form a community facility. Older road associations and road communities are also today counted as community facilities.

An individual road can also be managed by an association without being a community facility. Lantmäteriet then has no role in it.

More information about community facilities.

Here you can get the right to use a single road

Road that belongs to another property

According to the Civil Engineering Act, easements can be formed that give one or more properties the right to either use an existing road on another property or build a new road over another property.

The owner of the property where the road is being built, or of the road leased for use, is then entitled to compensation.

More information about easement.

Road belonging to another community facility

A community association that manages a community facility for roads may be entitled to use a shorter section of a road that Please note that the right is then not granted for the benefit of the individual properties but for the benefit of the community association to which the properties belong.

This is a right that the surveying authority decides on and it is usually done in connection with Community associations can also apply for this themselves through a reconsideration of the community facility.

Temporary need to use a road

Is the need to use a road temporarily the property can under certain conditions be connected to a community facility, if there is an existing one, or a temporary easement can be formed.

This is how you distribute costs for maintenance eel of the road

If you are several who use a road, or if you have, for example, formed a road association that manages the road together, you can use different models to distribute the costs. Common examples of distribution are that all parts are equal or that, for example, year-round residents pay more than those who only use the road in the summer. Lantmäteriet which decides how the costs are to be distributed.

The tonne-kilometer method

Another common way of calculating costs is to use what is called the tonne-kilometer method. The cost is then calculated by multiplying the weight in tonnes that the property is assessed to load on the road during a year by the length of road in kilometers used for travel to and from the property. Here you can read about recommendations for calculating transport figures (tonnes) for applying the tonne-kilometer method (pdf, new window) .

Wear fee

Community associations can charge additional costs that arise when a co-owning property owner temporarily uses the road to a significantly greater extent than is corresponding to the proportion.

Community associations can also under certain conditions charge such additional costs from property owners as is not a co-owner of the community facility but has a right to use the road.

If there is a dispute about the additional costs, the action must be brought before the Land and Environment Court.

Older forms of administration - Road association and road community

The Construction Act entered into force in 1974 and then partially replaced the Private Roads Act (EVL). However, the EVL was not repealed in its entirety until the turn of the year 1997/98.

As of 1998, the Civil Engineering Act and the Act on the Administration of Community ether applicable to the previous forms of collaboration from EVL: road association and road community. This means that these are to be regarded as community facilities which (normally) are managed by a community association.

Contents of this page may be automatically translated, we take no responsibility for the accuracy of the translation. Feel free to contact our customer support centre if you have any questions.

Read more about our website